Statistics show that crime is on the rise nationwide. From personal safety to crime in the home and workplace, no one is immune. Crime does not discriminate by age, ethnicity, or income level. As a nation, we look to law enforcement to apprehend criminals, thereby keeping citizens safe. Enforceable laws at the local, state, and federal levels are important; however, they often aren’t enough. Individuals must take additional steps to help reduce personal crime risks, as the law alone cannot protect citizens before a perpetrator commits criminal acts. Knowing how to increase personal safety as well as the safety of your loved ones is instrumental in preventing crime. Below a criminal defense attorney from Aizman Law Firm provides resources on crime prevention.
- Identity Theft: Learn about identity theft and discover the best steps to prevent and deal with its repercussions.
- Prevent and Report Identity Theft: Use these tips to ensure that your personal information is safe and help reduce the risk of becoming an identity theft victim.
- Rape and Sexual Violence Prevention Strategies: The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention provides an extensive listing of strategies to help prevent sexual violence and rape.
- Stop Elder Abuse: The National Center on Elder Abuse Administration on Aging provides resources, tips, and strategies designed to support and protect seniors. From financial crimes to domestic violence, seniors are targeted and victimized. Learn how to prevent and respond to elder abuse.
- Domestic Abuse and Battering: The National Coalition Against Domestic Violence provides education, research, tips, and strategies for the prevention and treatment of domestic violence nationwide. Domestic violence affects men and women of different ages and is seen in teen relationships as well. Learn the signs of an abusive relationship and how to leave before the damage is too great.
Home Safety and Security
- Home Safety Checklist: Use this checklist from the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) to ensure that your home is fire-safe. Make certain to install working smoke alarms and have a home escape plan.
- Safety at Your Front Door: Learn how to reduce the risk of crime with these safety tips and prevention guidelines that aim to increase home safety.
- Carbon Monoxide Poisoning Prevention: Learn about carbon monoxide (CO) and find out why it is detrimental to human health and safety. Discover the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning and find ways to prevent illness in your home.
- Home Security Tips: The city of Oakland, California, provides these tips and guidelines to help ensure that you have taken full precautions when it comes to home safety.
- Latchkey Kids: The Springfield, Missouri, police department provides these safety tips for parents whose children must stay home alone.
Workplace Safety and Security
- Workplace Security Tips: Use these tips and ideas to increase security and safety in the workplace.
- Preventing Workplace Violence: Recognize workplace violence with these recommendations from the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA).
- Workplace Violence Prevention: Readiness and Response: The FBI provides this bulletin that addresses the issue of workplace violence and highlights preventative methods employees may take to increase personal safety.
- Theft in the Workplace: Informational Material: The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) provides this resource that includes a workplace theft-prevention quiz as well as information regarding the best ways to remain safe at work.
- Business Crime Prevention Tips: The city of Denver provides these tips for remaining safe and secure in the workplace.
- Child Safety and Prevention: The National Center for Missing and Exploited Children offer tips, resources, and publications regarding child safety. Learn how to help prevent abductions and increase child safety awareness.
- Child Safety: The National Institutes of Health (NIH) offers numerous resources for parents related to child safety. Learn how to choose the right car seat and how to baby-proof your home, and find safety tips for children from birth through the teenage years.
- Child Safety Tips: Use these tips for keeping children safe at home, on the Internet, in vehicles, and on the street.
- Stranger Safety Tips for Children: Learn the importance of teaching children “stranger danger” and teach these tips to children to help keep them safe.
- Who is a Stranger? The Mesa Police provides these resources and guidelines for teaching children to be wary of strangers and focus on calling 911 if in trouble.
- Car Safety for Kids: Parents Central provides numerous resources focusing on keeping children safe in vehicles.
- Bicycle Safety: The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration focuses on bicycle safety.
- ATV Safety Tips: Use these safety tips to ensure that children are protected from the dangers of ATVs.
- Auto Theft Safety Tips: Use these tips to keep your car safe and protected from thieves.
- Parking Lot Safety: The Montgomery County Department of Transportation provides these resources and tips for pedestrians to remain safe while in parking lots.
- Basic Internet Safety: NetSmartz shares these tips and resources for ensuring safety when online.
- Cyber Tips for Older Americans: The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) provides these tips for baby boomers who are using the Internet.
- Internet Safety Tips for Children and Teens: The New York Public Library offers guidelines for ensuring children and teens remain safe online.
- Identity Protection Tips: The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) provides identity protection tips for taxpayers.
- Online Financial Safety Tips: Learn how to keep your financial information safe when online.
- Personal Safety During Traveling: Use these tips to remain safe abroad as well as keep your home safe during travel.
- Travel Safety Tips Fact Sheet: This fact sheet provides tips and resources for those who are traveling and want to ensure their personal safety.
- Travel Safety Tips: Learn how to prevent crime when traveling abroad with these safety tips designed for travelers.
- Hotel Safety and Other Traveling Tips: Use these resources and learn how to choose a safe hotel when traveling abroad.
- Vacation Travel Safety: These resources will help ensure you travel safety throughout your vacation.