Property crimes are crimes commited while either illegally entering property which does not belong to you or destroying or defacing property which belongs to another person or entitiy such as a corporation or government.
This page lists various property crimes so that you may understand the elements, legal defenses and penalties of these crimes in more detail.
- Burglary – Penal Code 459: This is the crime of illegally entering a home/office or commercial structure for the puspose of comitting a crime therein.
- Possession of Burglary Tools – Penal Code 466: This is the crime of owning or possessing tools which may be used to commit a burglary.
- Trespassing – Penal Code 602 : This is the crime of illegally entering onto property which is not owned by you.
- Peeking While Loitering – Penal Code 647(i): This is often called the peeping tom law were someone illegally peeks into an inhabited building or structure.
- Arson – Penal Code 451: This is the crime of illegally setting a fire in order to burn down a structure.
- Reckless Burning – Penal Code 452: This typically happens on campsites or similiar places were the burning of something is done in a reckless manner.
- Vandalism – Penal Code 594: This crime is the destruction or defacement of someone else’s property.