Theft crimes involve the illegal taking of property which does not belong to you with the intent to permanently deprive the rightful owner. Below we outline theft crimes involving property, vehicles and theft by fraud.
Grand Theft, Petty Theft & Shoplifting
- Penal Code 487 PC – California’s Grand Theft Law – Grand Theft can be a very serious charge. Learn about the legal defenses and penalties.
- Penal Code 484 PC – California’s Petty Theft Law – In California this is a theft crime involving property of less than $950 of value.
- PC 666 – Petty Theft With A Prior Conviction – If you have been convicted of a petty theft in the past and pick up a new case your prosecutor will take into account any prior convictions.
- Penal Code 459.5 PC – California’s Shoplifting Law – This new misdemeanor section is separate and apart from petty theft and was created as part of Proposition 47 on Nov 4, 2014.
Informational Videos On Theft Crimes
- Penal Code 211 PC – California’s Robbery Law: Get an overview of robbery under California law.
- Penal Code 459 PC – Burglary: Learn about the defense, penalties and elements of burglary.
- Penal Code 466 PC – Possession Of Burglary Tools: Learn about the laws governing the possession of tools that may be used for burglaries.
- Penal Code 496 PC – California’s Receiving Stolen Property Law: Understand the elements, defenses and penalties for receiving property that has been stolen.
- Appropriation Of Lost Property: California’s law on keeping property that has been lost without reporting the item.
- Penal Code 484 PC – Possessing Stolen Credit Card: Learn about the illegal possession of stolen credit cards and how it is prosecuted.
- Vehicle Code 10851 VC – Unlawful Taking Or Driving Of A Vehicle – Understand the elements of this crime which is often charged for people that do not return rental cars on time.
- PC 487(d)(1) – California’s Grand Theft Auto Law – California’s law regarding the theft of a vehicle.
- California Penal Code 215 PC – Carjacking – Learn about this theft by force which involves taking someone else’s vehicle while they were driving it.
Theft By Fraud
- Penal Code 503 PC – Embezzlement: This article pertains to illegal embezzlement as it is defined in California.
- PC 550 – Health Care Fraud: Read about the various code sections which pertain to health insurance fraud and the what constitutes a violation of the law.
- Referring Or Soliciting Auto Insurance Fraud: Understand the legal elements of the crime.
- Workers Comp Fraud: Learn how the state of California prosecutes crimes under this law.
- Money Laundering: Find out the elements of this crime and its penalties.
- Counterfeiting Credit Cards: This article discusses the criminal counterfeiting of credit cards and its penalties.
- Fraudulent Use Of An Access Card: Learn about California’s laws on this topic.
- PC 476 -Check Fraud: Find out how legal defenses can be applied to these types of cases.
- Identity Theft: Understand the penalties for this crime.