Theft crimes involve the illegal taking of property which does not belong to you with the intent to permanently deprive the rightful owner. Below we outline theft crimes involving property, vehicles and theft by fraud.
Grand Theft, Petty Theft & Shoplifting
- Grand Theft – Grand Theft can be a very serious charge. Learn about the legal defenses and penalties.
- Petty Theft – In California this is a theft crime involving property of less than $950 of value.
- Petty Theft With A Prior Conviction – If you have been convicted of a petty theft in the past and pick up a new case your prosecutor will take into account any prior convictions.
- Shoplifting – This new misdemeanor section is separate and apart from petty theft and was created as part of Proposition 47 on Nov 4, 2014.
Informational Videos On Theft Crimes
- Robbery: Get an overview of robbery under California law.
- Burglary: Learn about the defense, penalties and elements of burglary.
- Possession Of Burglary Tools: Learn about the laws governing the possession of tools that may be used for burglaries.
- Receiving Stolen Property: Understand the elements, defenses and penalties for receiving property that has been stolen.
- Appropriation Of Lost Property: California’s law on keeping property that has been lost without reporting the item.
- Possessing Stolen Credit Card: Learn about the illegal possession of stolen credit cards and how it is prosecuted.
- Unlawful Taking Or Driving Of A Vehicle – Understand the elements of this crime which is often charged for people that do not return rental cars on time.
- Grand Theft Auto – California’s law regarding the theft of a vehicle.
- Carjacking – Learn about this theft by force which involves taking someone else’s vehicle while they were driving it.
Theft By Fraud
- Embezzlement: This article pertains to illegal embezzlement as it is defined in California.
- Health Care Fraud: Read about the various code sections which pertain to health insurance fraud and the what constitutes a violation of the law.
- Referring Or Soliciting Auto Insurance Fraud: Understand the legal elements of the crime.
- Workers Comp Fraud: Learn how the state of California prosecutes crimes under this law.
- Money Laundering: Find out the elements of this crime and its penalties.
- Counterfeiting Credit Cards: This article discusses the criminal counterfeiting of credit cards and its penalties.
- Fraudulent Use Of An Access Card: Learn about California’s laws on this topic.
- Check Fraud: Find out how legal defenses can be applied to these types of cases.
- Identity Theft: Understand the penalties for this crime.